On 03/19/2014 11:37 AM, Mandy Chung wrote:

Webrev at:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jdk9/webrevs/8035807/webrev.00/

This patch converts the last 2 references to sun.misc.BASE64Encoder/Decoder
from the jdk repo with java.util.Base64.   We should also update the tests and
I have filed JDK-8037873 for that.

Thanks
Mandy

The sun.misc.BASE64En/Decoder is MIME type, so it outputs the \r\n per 76
characters during encoding, and ignores/skip \r or \n when decoding. The new
Base64.getEncoder/Decoder() returns the "basic" Base64 coder, which it never
inserts line separator when output, and throws exception for any non-base64-
alphabet character, including \r and \n.

The only disadvantage/incompatibility (j.u.Base64.getMimeDecoer() vs
sun.misc.BASE64Decoder) of switching to j.u.Base64 MIME type en/decoder
is that the Base64 Mime decoder ignores/skips any non-base64-alphabet
(including \r and \n), while sun.misc.BASE64Decoder appears to simply
use the init value "-1" for any non-base64-alphabet character for decoding.

I'm not familiar with the use scenario of ldap's Obj class, so I'm not sure if
it matters (if it ever outputs/inputs > 76 character data, or even it does,if
the difference matters).

Btw, except getMimeEncoder(int ...) all other Base64.getXXXEn/Decoder()
returns singleton, so the de/encoder cache might not be necessary.

-Sherman