On Mar 24, 2014, at 8:30 PM, Mike Duigou <mike.dui...@oracle.com> wrote:
> The other issue here, and why this thread has gone on so long, is that we've
> been trying to establish what the best idiom is (for 2014-????) for this lazy
> initialization situation so that we can reuse it with less thought and
> review. In this case the chances of race are fairly low and the cost of extra
> layoutChars is bearable. In other cases where we are likely to use the same
> idiom this is less likely true. Peter's current implementation has the
> advantage that is the best-right answer for lazy initialization even in the
> contended/expensive case. I look forward to revisiting this again when the
> new JMM primitives are available. :-)

This is another example of a stable variable.

I would like to re-iterate my scepticism that such changes are necessary in
this case (i am not sure if it is possible to create a benchmark that could
better exacerbate the concurrent overlap of calls to layoutChars). But, i do
agree the discussion has been useful and interesting.

Paul.