On 01/04/2014 18:04, Peter Levart wrote:

Hi Roger,

Well, it turns out the methods would like to stay in Os (renamed to Platform), but there is no need for per-enum-instance subclasses. Using enum constructor parameters and switch statements makes code even more compact and easy to follow...

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~plevart/jdk9-dev/UNIXProcess/webrev.04/

I belive there is still room for consolidating logic in various Input/OutputStream wrappers used in UNIXProcess variants. But in the first round I tried to preserve the exact behaviour. If the wrapping of streams could be made more-or-less equal in all UNIX platforms, then the need for UNIXProcess subclasses and/or overhead of support classes included but not used goes away...

I went through webrev.05 and the new Platform enum looks reasonable to me (and thanks for the rename too). I checked the os.name mapping and it looks right. Whether it's Error or InternalError for an unrecognized platform probably doesn't matter here.

If Roger is okay with this version then I think we should get this merge done and look at other refactoring with a later change. Also if src/solaris is renamed (and I know many of want do this) then it's another opportunity to come back to the topic too.

-Alan.