On Apr 10 2014, at 11:08 , Chris Hegarty <chris.hega...@oracle.com> wrote:

>>> Interesting… thanks for let me know.  Presumably, there is an assumption is
>>> StandardCharsets is not initialized elsewhere, by another dependency.
>>
>> Generally it's safe to assume that StandardCharsets will already be
>> initialized. If it isn't initialized we should consider it an amortized cost.
>
> I'm which case why would the string version be more performant than the
> version that already takes the Charset? Doesn't the string version need to do
> a lookup?

There is a cache in StringCoder that is only used in the byte[] getBytes(String
charsetName) but not in the byte[] getBytes(Charset charset) case. The
rationale in StringCodding::decode(Charset cs, byte[] ba, int off, int len) may
need to be revisited as it is certainly surprising that the string constant
charset name usage is faster than the CharSet constant.

Mike