Hi Martin,

I'm still looking for additional support for using IOException instead of
UnsupportedOperationException; the prevailing view is that UOE is appropriate.

The usual definition of UnsupportedOperationException seem to fit this case well. The behavior of the methods is not supported by the implementation; it is unconditional,
it is not a question of OS policy or Java runtime policy.

The examples cited avoid using Process if the OS dependent programs are not
available and in those cases the UOE would not be encountered so this should
not raise issues for existing programs.

Roger