This is a request for comment only, at this point. There is no associated
formal test but there is one in the issue description.

Issue:  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8068373
Patch:  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bpb/8068373/webrev.02/

I mostly want to know how out to lunch this approach is, for the moment only in
the context of FileSystemPreferences, not exporting/importing to/from XML in
general from generic Preferences.

Two things should be noted here. The Preferences (and Properties) can be
exported to and imported from an XML format on all platforms. In the case of
Unix (Linux and Solaris, I believe) this is also the format used to store the
Preferences whereas on other platforms that is not the case. Therefore for
these Unix cases there is the possibility of loss if things are not losslessly
round trip encoded into XML. The present issue is one such case with dire
consequences.

The main problems as I see them are 1) how to maintain compatibility across
Java versions, and 2) how to preserve what can be added as a Preference. With
respect to the latter item, this should not be constrained because the datum
happens to be cached in XML.

This particular solution is data-preserving with respect to the issue addressed
if the same or later version of a JVM is used, and does not cause older Java
versions reading the XML cache to fail.

Thanks,

Brian