Hi Roger,

I looked at Martin's idea and I think that we don't need the AsyncExecutor at all (it already sounds like I hate it ;-). Using ManagedBlocker, a ForkJoinPoll can compensate and grow it's pool as needed when Process.waitFor() blocks. So we could leverage this feature and simplify things even further:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~plevart/jdk9-sandbox/JDK-8046092-branch/webrev.03/

Passing a commonPool() to xxxAsync() methods is unneeded as the default is exactly the same. If CompletableFuture ever gets a feature to specify a default Executor for all it's descendants, then we can revisit this if needed.

What do you think?

Regards, Peter