Peter,

> I see diagnostic commands mostly format their output in native code. >
But for some of them (like this finalizer histogram) it would be nice >
to have a Java wrapper for hotspot's outputStream.

I love to have an ability to write pure-java DCMD's without touching of
hotspot code but it's a long term goal, out of scope of this fix.

Just a wrapper around hotspot output stream has a couple of underwear
complications around memory management and error handling, so it should
be a separate project.

-Dmitry

--
Dmitry Samersoff
Oracle Java development team, Saint Petersburg, Russia