In the past, when I contemplated doing this, I generally thought that there
wasn't enough value in such a feature for the effort, given that one can
start a subprocess shell that supports pipelines.  Does this feature pull
its weight?

You don't need this to re-implement emacs in java, which has always been my
litmus test.  The missing feature is pty support, that y'all are less
likely to add...