On 30/09/2015 14:59, Ralph Goers wrote:
If I understand you correctly, then no that isn’t what I would want. The
version and priority are captured in the same properties file where the class
name is specified. If the class implements the wrong version or isn’t chosen
due to its priority then the class isn’t loaded. To do what you are describing
would require that serviceLoader load each class and that methods be called on
each class to get that information. While that makes life simpler for the
serviceLoader it makes it more complicated for the services being loaded.

It should be possible to create a service type that allows you to select the appropriate service provider implementation. The service type can also work as a factory so that once you select the service provider then you invoke some method on it to get the actual logging provider.

-Alan.