- I apologize if this was discussed earlier in the thread but why is the comparison of floats and doubles done by first == operator of the int bits and only then the compare method ?

I was being consistent with the test used for the existing equals
methods of float[] and double[]. Note that the Float/Double.*to*Bits
methods are intrinsic.

I guess my worry is that the == floatToIntBits would be redundant as the implementation of compare() might have exactly the same test as it's first step--it would be a reasonable optimization since it would have the benefit of loading the values into registers before doing the more expensive relational comparison.

Mike