From: core-libs-dev [mailto:core-libs-dev-boun...@openjdk.java.net] On Behalf
Of Kumar Srinivasan
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:26 AM
To: Kirk Shoop (MS OPEN TECH) <kirk.sh...@microsoft.com>
Cc: Valery Kopylov (Akvelon) <v-val...@microsoft.com>; core-libs-dev Libs
<core-libs-dev@openjdk.java.net>
Subject: Re: RFR 8124977 cmdline encoding challenges on Windows

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for proposing this change.

If you notice all the posix calls are wrapped in JLI_* this  gives us the ability to use
"W" functions.  I almost got it done, several years ago, but we upgraded to VS2010 and my
work based on VS2003 keeled over, meanwhile my focus was  "shifted" to something else.

main.c: is really envisioned to be a stub  compiled by the tool launchers, like
java, javac, javah, jar etc. I prefer to see all the heavy logic in this file
moved to the platform specific file windows/java_md.*

For the reason specified above we need to move fprintf or any naked posix calls
to JLI_* indirections.

I don't see any tests ? The tests must be written in java and placed in
jdk/test/tools/launcher, there is a helper framework TestHelper.java.

There are other changes in nio, charsets etc, this will be reviewed by my
colleague specializing in that area (Sherman) cc'ed.

Thanks

Kumar