After this patch, the version of ASM internally used by OpenJDK will accept V53
class files but not understand module-info.class specific file format,
so that version of ASM will be able to read module-info.class, but will see it
as a class with a bunch of custom attributes and will not be able to generate
module-info.class.

so it's a kind of half broken version of ASM, my question is do you plan to
read/write module-info with ASM (or as Jon said use Unicode 8 char sequence).

regards,
Rémi