Until now CS and CF have not appeared in Java SE API signatures,
outside of the j.u.c package. They are, however, currently being
proposed for use in API signatures for Java SE 9 [1][2], namely
j.l.Process[Handle]::onExit, and more extensively in the proposed new
HTTP Client.

CF was chosen, in some cases, mainly because it provides 'join'. While
some may not like it, a large number of developers still, at some point,
want to be able to block. It was felt that CF was more convenient,
rather than the CS::toCF dance.

In some cases CF provides too many knobs and is not quite suited. For
example, the java.net.http package description has the following
paragraph [3]:

 * <p> {@code CompletableFuture}s returned by this API will throw
 * {@link java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException} for their {@link
 * java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture#obtrudeValue(Object) obtrudeValue}
 * and {@link java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture#obtrudeException(Throwable)
 * obtrudeException} methods. Invoking the {@link
 * java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture#cancel cancel} method on a
 * {@code CompletableFuture} returned by this API will not interrupt
 * the underlying operation, but may be useful to complete, exceptionally,
 * dependent stages that have not already completed.

At a minimum adding 'join' to CS would help ( and may cause the above
usages in JDK 9 to be revisited ). If this is not acceptable, or maybe
even separately, is there any appetite for a type between CS and CF,
that would expose a select set of methods ( which methods tbd ) that are
"more suited" [*] for use in the above kind of APIs, where the platform
or library is using them as a notification mechanism ( cancel may, or
may not, be useful to notify the platform / library that the operation /
result is no longer interesting, albeit somewhat of a hint ).

-Chris.

[1]
http://download.java.net/java/jdk9/docs/api/java/util/concurrent/class-use/CompletableFuture.html
[2]