From: Alan Bateman [mailto:alan.bate...@oracle.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:45 AM
To: Lu, Yingqi <yingqi...@intel.com>; core-libs-dev@openjdk.java.net
Cc: nio-...@openjdk.java.net
Subject: Re: Proposal for adding O_DIRECT support into JDK 9

On 26/09/2016 19:50, Lu, Yingqi wrote:

> Alan, you mean readv0/write0 or read0/write0? I just want to make sure
> :-)
Apologies, I meant each of the native methods where the decision to use direct
I/O or not would be a lot more maintainable in Java. You'll see that there are
already code paths for direct vs. heap buffers.

> Anyone else has other opinions on where is the best home for O_DIRECT flag?
> The flags under jdk.unsupported will eventually be removed in the future JDK
> release?
>
> If we agree ExtendedOpenOpen is the best home for O_DIRECT, we can modify
> that for sure.

I think ExtendedOpenOption is the right place. It's still TDB as to whether to
put these extensions but that should be transparent to anyone using this when
on the class path.

-Alan