Hi Uwe,

On 12/10/2016 01:33 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:

Hi Peter,

this would be a great fix! Thanks!!!

I also think the non-static method is superior to my original proposal, because it allows us to do the security check **once**, which is really needed for Lucene. I am still fine if the permission is still checked on every unmapping, but we need to do the check up-front. If you look at our current unmapping code (https://goo.gl/TfQWl6), you will the that the detector checks for the extra runtime permission upfront, so we can be sure that the actual unmapping will work for sure. This is also the reason why we use MethodHandles: As those are compiled on investigation of possible unmapping variants depending on the VM, we can “compile” the MethodHandle and later call it as often as we like, without the risk that it breaks for incompatibility reasons. The MethodHandle makes sure that all types are checked up front.

About MappedByteBuffer vs ByteBuffer (or maybe just java.nio.Buffer!?): I’d make it generic so it works with any direct buffer (maybe also non-byte ones). For Lucene it does not matter, but other projects (I know Cassandra or other off-Heap frameworks) do the same with buffers that were allocated direct (not only mmapped). The method signature in your proposal is also compatible to our requirements: We can create the DirectBufferDeallocator up front and then produce a MH which is bound to the allocator.

I choose to limit the method to ByteBuffer type because this is the public static type used in programs for instances that are possibly "owning" the underlying native memory. Other-typed buffers or even 2nd-level direct ByteBuffers obtained by duplicating or slicing are just views and do not "own" the underlying memory. While it would be possible to trigger deallocation / unmapping via any buffer that references the owning buffer, I think this might be prone to bugs. By limiting the method to 1st-level direct ByteBuffer(s), the programmer is forced to think about ownership and lifetime of derived buffers and consequently write better code.

So on 2nd thought, the API might be even better to reject non-direct and 2nd-level direct ByteBuffer(s) by throwing an exception rather than silently ignoring the deallocation request.

I will make a pull request to Lucene using your current proposal so you have a “patch” to test this with Lucene before you commit something like this.

Let us first wait for a proposal from Oracle to see what they have in mind...

Regards, Peter

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

uschind...@apache.org

ASF Member, Apache Lucene PMC / Committer

Bremen, Germany

http://lucene.apache.org/