Hi Brian,

Looks good

Except for a typo in WinNTFileSystem_md.c:24  "compnent"

Regards, Roger

On 12/19/2016 3:54 PM, Brian Burkhalter wrote:
Hi Roger,

Thanks for your suggestions. An updated version of the patch is here:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bpb/8148023/webrev.01/ <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Ebpb/8148023/webrev.01/>

On Dec 19, 2016, at 11:04 AM, Roger Riggs <roger.ri...@oracle.com <mailto:roger.ri...@oracle.com>> wrote:

File.java:

- 1906: shortenSubName might reasonably return the new length without
  creating the intermediate string and save on the allocation.

So changed.

- generateFile() line 1922 + -- I assume this slow path is infrequently used. Otherwise, the computations involving excess could be done arithmetically without actually creating the string
 and only create the name when the final length(s) are decided.

Modified.

- line 1952: appending the generated name to the exception is ok but it should omit the directory name; its not salient to the error and might expose a sensitive directory name.

Updated.

FileSystem.java
- getNameMax; the length could reasonably be just an int. Long seems a bit excessive and raises suspicion that something clever is going on when its just a normal value.
 (Though I see the native code uses jlong)

Changed to an int except for the native Unix call. The invoking Java code clamps a highly unlikely out-of-range long to Integer.MAX_VALUE.

Thanks,

Brian