On 13/02/2017 22:52, Paul Sandoz wrote:

Hi,

Please review.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/JDK-8174151-url-class-path-loader/webrev/index.html

This is a nasty edge case when a URLStreamHandler is registered (via the system
property) to process jar: URLs.

The support for multi-release JAR files changed the implementation of
ClassLoader.findResource such that the to be returned jar: URLs would not be
operated on, and therefore the jar: URLStreamHandler would not be queried [*].
If the returned jar: URL is operated on by the caller then the jar:
URLStreamHandler would (of course) be queried.

This is arguably an implementation detail but it does change long term
established behaviour in a very delicate area.

While i find it unpalatable to do so this patch restores the previous
behaviour, if a custom jar: URLStreamHandler is registered. The compromise is
such a custom jar: URLStreamHandler needs to explicitly support multi-release
JAR files.

This is really ugly but I think the changes are okay/safe. Initially I thought it might be simpler to just use URL.handlers but the API allows someone to create a URL with a different URLStreamHandler.

-Alan