Hi Daniel,

For more background on this issue I think you should link to this issue to the
following:

Jason
From: core-libs-dev <core-libs-dev-boun...@openjdk.java.net> on behalf of
Daniel Fuchs <daniel.fu...@oracle.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 2, 2017 11:47 AM
To: core-libs-dev
Subject: RFR: 8189953: FileHandler constructor throws NoSuchFileException with
absolute path

Hi,

Please find below a patch for:
8189953: FileHandler constructor throws NoSuchFileException
          with absolute path

webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dfuchs/webrev_8189953/webrev.00/

This is a windows only bug.

The issue is caused by a change that happen somewhen between
8 and 9, where new File(new File("C:"),"Workspace") was fixed
to return "C:Workspace" and not "C:\\Workspace".
This uncovered a bug in the FileHandler::generate algorithm.

The FileHandler::generate algorithm could arguably be improved
by being entirely rewritten but I choose to keep the changes
as minimal as I could.

best regards,

-- daniel