for UUID.fromString from 751 to 1341 bytes, so it seems that even from a
footprint perspective then keeping the array at 256 elements is a win. :-)

/Claes

On 2018-01-29 22:04, Claes Redestad wrote:
Right, I can't really explain why, but the effect is very visible and
reproducible in microbenchmarks. Differences in generated ASM might
be indicating that the inlining behavior changes enough to shift the
result around; maybe a job for @ForceInline?

I'll experiment and analyze a bit more tomorrow to see if I can find a
good explanation for the observed difference and/or a solution that
allows us to slim down the lookup array.

/Claes