Hi Roger,

Given the concern of the possible incompatible behavior change of over reading bytes from the underlying stream. I decided to give up last proposed changes for DecInputStream for now. With some "minor" cleanup and tuning I still have about 10%+ improvement with various input size sampling. Let's address the decoder stream in separate rfe later, if desired.

The updated webrev and the jmh results are at

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sherman/8164278/webrev
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sherman/8164278/base64.bm

Last version of webrev and corresponding jmh result can be found at
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sherman/8164278/webrev.02
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sherman/8164278/base64.bm.old

Thanks,
Sherman