OK, well I think we do agree that at least stripIndent should be changed to
remove the longest exact whitespace prefix common to all lines? So if you
give it one line starting with 8 spaces and another starting with a tab it
will return the string unchanged. The current behaviour just counts
whitespace characters, so in that example it would strip the tab from the
line that has it, and the first of the 8 spaces from the line that has them.

My point about novice users is that not all users are inconvenienced alike.
Users who have consciously configured their editing environment to use tabs
presumably know what tabs are, and should quickly be able to figure out how
to avoid them in RSLs or what method to call to get rid of them. But users
who are new to the language, and perhaps to programming, may very well not
know that there is such a thing as a tab character. Up until now they
didn't have to care because they could unknowingly mix spaces and tabs
without it mattering. But now I feel we are setting a trap for them where
they will stare in frustration at two obviously identical lines that are
somehow behaving differently from each other.

As an experiment I put myself in the position of a novice user, by trying
out a number of popular editors on the Mac in their default configurations.
I found that NetBeans and IntelliJ did the right thing: by default they
never write a tab. But with Eclipse, Emacs, Vim, and TextMate I found it
quite easy to create mixed indentation. I also scanned the source of about
1,000 public open-source projects that are used within Google, and I found
that 38% of them contained at least one file with inconsistent indentation
(spaces before tabs, or some lines indented with spaces and others with
tabs). And those would be projects presumably from relatively experienced
developers.