----- Mail original -----
> De: "Joe Wang" <huizhe.w...@oracle.com>

Hi Joe,

> I'm not sure we'd want to replace system dependent line separators with
> '\n'. There are cases as you described where the replacement makes
> sense. However,  there are other cases too. For example, the purpose is
> to read, edit a text file and then write it back. If this is on Windows,
> and if line separators are replaced with '\n', that would cause the
> resulting file not formatted properly in for example Notepad. There are
> cases where users write text files on Windows using Java, and only found
> the lines were not separated in Notepad.

I agree that why the counterpart of readString() that write the string should
inserts the platform's line separator.
BTW, i just found that those methods are not named writeString, or
writeCharSequence, i think they should.

> Files.write(Path, Iterable) is also specified to terminate each line
> with the platform's line separator. If readString does the replacement,
> it would be inconsistent.

Anyway, if we look for consistency the methods writeCharSequence should
transform the \n in the CharSequence to the platform's line separator.

Files.write(Path, Iterable) is is not a counterpart of readString(), it's
consistent with Files.lines() or Files.readLines() (or
BufferedReader.readLine()) that all suppress the line separators. Anyway,
Files.write(path, readString(path)::line) will be consistent if you replace the
line separators or not because String.line() suppresses the line separators.

> I would think readString behaves like readAllBytes, that would simply read
> all content faithfully.

readString does an interpolation due to the Charset so it's not the real
content, again, the idea is that developers should not have to care about the
platform's line separators (they have more important things to think).

The other solution is to just not introduce those new methods, after all
Files.lines().collect(Collectors.joining("\n")) already does the job, no ?

> Best,
> Joe

regards,
Rémi