Well, I don't see the need to pack the two results into a Map.Entry (or any similar) container as a drawback.

From an "integrity of the JDK APIs" perspective, it is unquestionably a drawback.  These items are not a Key and an associated Value in a Map; it's merely pretending that Map.Entry really means "Pair".  There's a reason we don't have a Pair class in the JDK (and no, let's not reopen that now); using something else as a Pair proxy that is supposed to have specific semantics is worse. (It's fine to do this in your own code, but not in the JDK. Different standards for code that has different audiences.)

Tagir's proposed sidestepping is nice, and it will also play nicely with records, because then you can say:

     record NameAndCount(String name, int count);

     stream.collect(pairing(collectName, collectCount, NameAndCount::new));

and get a more properly abstract result out.  And its more in the spirit of existing Collectors.  If you want to use Map.Entry as an _implementation detail_, that's fine.

I can support this form.

I also don't see a larger abstraction like BiStream as a natural fit for a similar thing.

I think the BiStream connection is mostly tangential.  We tried hard to support streams of (K,V) pairs when we did streams, as Paul can attest, but it was a huge complexity-inflater and dropping this out paid an enormous simplification payoff.

With records, having streams of tuples will be simpler to represent, but no more performant; it will take until we get to value types and specialized generics to get the performance we want out of this.