On Jul 11, 2018, at 9:32 AM, Peter Levart <peter.lev...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry Paul for hijacking the thread, just answering to Remi ...
>
> On 07/11/2018 05:31 PM, Remi Forax wrote:

Here's my $0.02:

- Performance does not seem to be important yet for MHP; Paul is mainly
concerned with functionality.
- But such implementation strategies are desirable for performance.
- The ClassSpecializer mechanism is a good candidate for managing the tuple
species (it was factored from BMH).
- I think a reasonable balance would be for a MHP instance to factor into (a) a
@Stable MH (or List::of), and (b) a @Stable tuple.

Downsides of factoring MHP into MH and tuple sub-objects:

- Three heap nodes instead of the minimum single node.
- Indirection costs.  (Note that constants fold through @Stable links including
List::of or stable-array.)

Upsides:

- Fewer generated classes:  One per interface, one per payload tuple, one per
MH.
- Possible shared code with publicly-visible tuple carrier API (probably needed
for pattern "extractors").

More ideas:

An alternative is to do a full-custom species for every distinct MHP
combination.  This might be OK,
until people start to use MHP in earnest; then it will cause startup problems
IMO.  Factoring the
MHP nodes makes the thing scale better in terms of static code, at a modest
cost in heap flatness.

If (long-term if) we want to flatten the MPH nodes, but only for hot-path MHPs
(assuming in the long
term a wide variety of usage), then we might try Vladimir's MH customization
hack, which puts
invocation counters on MH transform chains, and upgrades them in-place to use
customized LFs
if they get hot.  Something like this could be done with MHP combos that turn
hot.  Perhaps existing
MHPs that get hot could even be internally converted to delegate by one patched
hop to a flattened
version of the object, and new MHPs of the same syndrome would just generate
the flattened
version from the start, sans secret indirection.

— John