On 26/07/2018 10:45, Andrew Dinn wrote:
:
Firstly, if you look back through the core-libs-dev archive you will
find discussion that preceded introduction of this change -- primarily
between Alan Bateman and Tony Printezis as I recall but I think others
were involved. I believe that discussion included debate as to how this
change ought to expose the new capability either as a restricted API
(internal to JDK runtime) or as an external API (open to JDK client
apps). Its clear what the conclusion was.

Thanks Andrew. Yes, there was lengthy discussion here, mostly Tony, Peter Levart and I. We decided not to expose anything at this time, an approach that does not preclude re-visiting it in the future. In general it would need a lot of consideration, esp. when you think about cases where a thread local maintains an object with a reference to a native resource and the object is reachable by other means. We also need to think about what it would mean further down the road if/when the platform is retrofitted to support fibers as there will have implications for what we know today as thread locals.

-Alan