OK, great.

It looks like a heavily modified version of ArrayDeque.java. This makes it a bit difficult to understand what the changes are. Would you mind if I rehosted this to cr.openjdk.java.net and generated a webrev for it?

Thanks,

s'marks

On 7/28/18 11:05 PM, Alex Foster wrote:

Hi,

Here's my current proposal: https://pastebin.com/EABgwLYS <https://pastebin.com/EABgwLYS>

Alex

*From:* Stuart Marks <stuart.ma...@oracle.com>
*Sent:* July 28, 2018 8:11 PM
*To:* Martin Buchholz; Alex Foster
*Cc:* Doug Lea; core-libs-dev@openjdk.java.net
*Subject:* Re: 8143850: retrofit ArrayDeque to implement List
Hi, I finally got some time to get my head around this.

Conceptually, I like the idea of a List that's stored in a circular array, like
ArrayDeque. The best way to manifest this in the API isn't obvious though. I
filed the bug as "retrofit ArrayDeque to implement List" but of course it
doesn't have to be this way.

I also think we want to reuse an existing implementation as much as possible.
There's already too much duplication between ArrayList and ArrayDeque; we don't
want a third similar implementation that will need to be maintained in parallel.

To Martin's points:

* Adding List-like methods to ArrayDeque without it implementing List is indeed
odd, but not necessarily fatal. It does seem to raise the question "Isn't there
a better way?" though.

* I don't want to have to add null support if at all possible, for the reasons
Martin mentioned. Also, it's an implementation and maintenance headache. Of
course the implementations like ArrayList and HashMap are proof that it can be
done. But each time HashMap has been enhanced significantly, there's been a bug
tail where null checking was missed in certain cases.

* Growth policy. The shared null array setup for ArrayList was added when we
observed that a significant number of ArrayLists are created with the default
constructor and then never populated. Allocating the backing array lazily
resulted in a considerable space savings. I think this would be a good idea to
do for ArrayDeque, but this is somewhat orthogonal to the current "retrofit
List" discussion.

* Regarding nestmates, I don't think the use of nestmates has any advantage or
disadvantage over package-level access between top-level classes in the same
package. I think we should decide what we want the API to look like first, and
then figure out how to factor things so that we can get the code sharing and
coupling that we want. We might not be forced into contorting the API in order
to get better sharing/coupling, but let's wait to cross that bridge if we come
to it.

--

Alex, I'm not sure where your current proposal stands. Have you sent an update
since the head of the thread? If you had included something as an attachment, it

Thanks,

s'marks