Hi Alan,

On 8/6/2018 11:12 PM, Alan Bateman wrote:

On 06/08/2018 20:11, joe darcy wrote:
Hello,

Various interfaces in the JDK extend Serializable and declare serialVersionUID fields. Such fields are ineffectual and @SuppressWarnings("serial") should be applied to such fields to suppress future planned serial lint checks (JDK-8202056).

Most of the affected files are in the security-libs area with a handful in RMI and JNDI:

    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~darcy/8209024.0/

Patch below. I'll fix-up the copyright years before any push.
Is there a follow-on patch coming to deprecate these fields?

Filed 8209304: Deprecate serialVersionUID fields in interfaces; webrev for review:

    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~darcy/8209304.0/

Security libs team, for

src/java.base/share/classes/sun/security/internal/interfaces/TlsMasterSecret.java

I added a separate @Deprecated annotation for the serialVersionUID field even though the interface itself is already deprecated. That interface's javadoc states:

  41  * @deprecated Sun JDK internal use only --- WILL BE REMOVED in a future
  42  * release.

If you like, as part of this changeset I can upgrade (downgrade?) the @Deprecated annotation for this class to forRemoval=true.

Once that detail is sorted out, I'll create the corresponding CSR. (Since the java.lang.Deprecated annotation type is @Documented, adding, removing, or changing @Deprecated annotations is an interface change.)

Thanks,

-Joe