Hi

What is the status of this issue [1]? It addresses some long-standing issues
with Java's Unicode support on Windows and was contributed by a team of
Microsoft engineers. However, it seems to have gone dormant right before the
finish line, and I can't really figure out who's waiting for whom at this point.

A little reconstruction from what I could find:
In January 2015, Martin Sawicki made the initial proposal to address the
cmdline encoding challenges on Windows [2]
>From June to September, there were ongoing discussions [3][4][5][6]
In November, this was shortly picked up again by the Oracle engineers [7]
In January 2016, after a ping by a Microsoft engineer, the discussions
restarted [8]
In February 2016, the patch seemed nearly ready for integration, with an Oracle
engineer asking whom to mention as contributors etc. [9]
Since then, I was unable to find any messages related to this issue

(Personally, I would love to see this issue progress, in order to be able to
associate Java programs with file extensions on Windows. This is currently
problematic, since a file containing Unicode characters will not get passed
correctly as an argument to the Java program)

Kind regards,
Anthony

[2]
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2015-January/031068.html