On 2018-12-10 11:56, Nick Gasson (Arm Technology China) wrote:
Hi,

Any update on this one? Or do we want to give up on it until JDK-8165620
is implemented?
I think Alan reviewed it as OK with just a minor fix, and offered to sponsor it for you.

Then the discussion started about some major changes, rewriting configure to provide individual support for every possible system function... I recommend that you go with the fix that solves your problem.

In fact, I disagree with the premise of JDK-8165620. I think it's better to do what you're doing here, to update the source code, so that it is clear that we know that we're handing 64-bit data.

/Magnus

Thanks,
Nick

On 28/11/2018 11:33, Martin Buchholz wrote:

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 7:25 PM, Nick Gasson <nick.gas...@arm.com
<mailto:nick.gas...@arm.com>> wrote:

     > I missed one thing then looking at this. In TimeZone_md.c it should be
     > #ifdef MACOSX rather than #ifndef. I can sponsor the change for you but
     > I need to change this one line before pushing.

     Hi Alan,

     Yes feel free to modify it. I think looking at the at other files
     with these #defines more closely, is it the case that the #ifndef
     MACOSX check is only required for statvfs64? As in
     e.g. UnixNativeDispatcher.c. So TimeZone_md.c should look like
     this:

     #if defined(_ALLBSD_SOURCE)
        #define stat64 stat
        #define lstat64 lstat
        #define fstat64 fstat
     #endif

     I don't have access to any OS X machines to test unfortunately.

     But I wonder if a better way to handle this is to check for the
     presence of the stat64 functions in the configure script, and
     then we could just write something like this, which would be a
     lot clearer:

     #if !defined(HAVE_STAT64)
        #define stat64 stat
     #endif

The best way is to implement

<https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8165620>
"Entire JDK should be built with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"

but yes, another good way is to do as you suggest, have configure define
HAVE_XXXX for all known functions with a 64-bit variant and then put
them into a header file with proper ifdefs for platforms that don't have
them.

You could also "simply" add
#define _FILE_OFFSET_BITS 64
but you have to do it for cliques of files that share ambiguously sized
data simultaneously.