Hi Rob,
i will add to the answer of Brian that if you have too many .collect(toList()),
it's perhaps your application perhaps suffers of the equivalent of the n + 1
select query you have with SQL but with the Stream API.

You should try to see if returning a Stream instead of a List for some of
methods is not a better option:
  public List<Employee> getAllEmployee() {
    return employees.stream().filter(Employee::isActive).collect(toList());
  }
  public List<Employee> getManager(List<Employee> list) {
    return list.stream().filter(Employee::isManager).collect(toList());
  }
  getManager(getAllEmployee());

should be:
  public Stream<Employee> getAllEmployee() {
    return employees.stream().filter(Employee::isActive);
  }
  public Stream<Employee> getManager(Stream<Employee> stream) {
    return stream.filter(Employee::isManager);
  }
  getManager(getAllEmployee()).collect(toList());

regards,
Rémi