Hi,

I could imagine a more performant implementation as Claes suggested by expecting the format and only those characters defined by the rfc 4122. And it could retain compatibility by faulting back to the current implementation for other formats and characters outside of those in the rfc. But it would only be worthwhile if the performance improvement was significant and worth
having two copies of the code.

$.02, Roger