Hi Remi,

David is right - a few more details:

In both fork- and vfork-mode we fork/vfork the child process and in the
child process then exec() the target binary (in this case "java" itself).

In posix_spawn mode, for complicated reasons, we start, via posix_spawn(),
the jspawnhelper - which, depending on the glibc involved, will either
vfork() or clone() the child process and then exec() the jspawnhelper
binary. Then, inside the jspawnhelper, we will exec() a second time, this
time the target binary.

(So, small correction, we do not have an intermediate _process_ here - at
any time only two processes are involved, the parent and the child - but
inside the child we call exec() twice.)

If you get EACCESS only in posix_spawn() mode, the only difference to
fork/vfork is that we exec() jspawnhelper. That is a binary located in the
jdk and should have the correct permissions set.

If you have a reproducible scenario, can you strace the call? (you would
probably need "strace -f", and if you see in the output the jspawnhelper
path with either _vfork or _clone system calls it worked).

Cheers, Thomas