I took another look at LdapTimeoutTest.java.

I was surprised to see RIGHT_MARGIN.  In jsr166 we succeed in having one
timeout that is long enough to "never happen".  I'm still advocating the 10
second value.

I was surprised to see LEFT_MARGIN.  We just fixed Thread.sleep, so we have
no known problems with JDK methods returning early - you can trust timed
get!
You start measuring, by calling nanoTime, before you start the activity you
are measuring, so there should be no need for LEFT_MARGIN.

We have some fresh thread-awaiting code here:
http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jsr166/src/test/tck/JSR166TestCase.java?view=markup#l1443

Instead of communicating startTime from the test thread back to the main
thread, I would do my loMillis checking in the test thread, and hiMillis
checking in the main thread, like e.g. compare with a fresh test
method testTimedOffer
http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jsr166/src/test/tck/ArrayBlockingQueueTest.java?view=markup#l394

Timeouts should be adjusted via Utils.adjustTimeout