On 14.11.19 16:27, Lance Andersen wrote:
Hi Volker,

On Nov 14, 2019, at 8:53 AM, Volker Simonis <simon...@amazon.com <mailto:simon...@amazon.com>> wrote:

On 13.11.19 18:54, Lance Andersen wrote:
Hi Volker,
Thank you for doing this.
As Christoph mentioned,  you can just do Path.of() and create the file in the work directory for the test.

Done.

If possible, I would use TestNG as that is consistent with the vast majority of the tests.

I don't particularly like to nest one test harness within another one :)
But seriously, I think using JUnit or TestNG makes sens if you write a whole test suit which uses the features of such a test harness (e.g. tear up, tear down, etc.)

Well you could use @AfterMethod or @AfterClass to clean up files etc… ;-)
But for small trivial tests I really prefer to use plain JTreg. This also has the big advantage that is becomes trivial to run such a test stand-alone which may come handy if you have to debug it.
Easy enough to add a main method to call your test method (there are some testng tests I have seen in the workspace that do that)

So if you don't insist, I'll prefer to leave the test as it is.

While I would prefer it for new tests, I am not insisting you need to change the test….. ;-)

OK, thanks. I might consider using it in the future :)

I also believe the rest of the comments below are worth addressing.

Besides that, I've addressed all the other points mentioned by Christoph. Please find the new webrev at:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~simonis/webrevs/2019/8234011.v1/

line 55 you can remove the creation of the HashMap

Good catch! Removed.

line 73, do you really need the equals check seeing you do not do anything?

Removed. It was a leftover of local testing.

I am not sure throwing a SkippedException is correct,  I would probably throw a RuntimeException

As I wrote in the answer to Christoph, this is a relatively new feature of JTreg [1] which I think was introduced for exactly such kind of situations where a tests detects at runtime only, that for some reasons he can't test the issue he was supposed to test. More and more tests are adapting it now [2]. The SkippedException will be handled specially by JTreg and let the test pass, but with status "Passed.Skipped" (plus exception message) instead of just "Passed" (plis "Execution successful").

Here's the next webrev:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~simonis/webrevs/2019/8234011.v2/

Thanks,
Volker