On 29/05/2020 1:52 pm, Mandy Chung wrote:
On 5/28/20 5:44 PM, David Holmes wrote:

This is to validate the given version.  The runtime will check if preview feature is enabled when such class file is loaded. I will make a comment to make it clear.

Okay but I thought the intent here was to pre-validate the version information so that when these bytes get passed to ASM you don't have to worry about the IAE that will be thrown by ASM if there is actually a problem.

Yes it is.  ASM does not check if preview features are enabled or not neither.  When a class file depending preview features is passed to VM, the VM will throw an exception if preview features are not enabled.

Yes but will that VM exception propagate as-is, or will ASM catch it and turn it into IAE? If the latter then your original problem still exists.

Maybe the only real solution here is for ASM to be more specific with the exceptions it throws. :(

This was discussed.
https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2020-May/066734.html

Sure that is why you made the current change. But if ASM catches the VM exceptions and adapts them then your problem is not solved by pre-inspecting the major/minor version, unless you can implement a full validity check. Otherwise the only place this can be properly fixed is in ASM.

Sure but we provide that kind of cross-package access all the time. We also have JAVA_MAX_SUPPORTED_VERSION in the ModuleInfo class. Seems messy to add yet a third place where we need to determine what the current major version number is.

Ah, that's another place.  I think it's better to add VM::isSupportedModuleDescriptorVersion and remove these constants.

That aside isn't the minor version, as set in java.class.version guaranteed to be zero?

This is set at build time.   The minor version is zero for the current versioning scheme.

So you are allowing for someone arbitrarily setting DEFAULT_VERSION_CLASSFILE_MINOR in make/autoconf/version-numbers? I guess it doesn't hurt to be flexible, but seems unlikely anyone would want to mess with that. If this were VM code I'd just assert the minor version is 0, but Java assertions are much more heavyweight.

Thanks,
David

Mandy

David