Andy,

The check is added to WindowsAppImageBuilder.java which means it will be done for app image bundling too. However the problem is with msi bundling only as far as I understood from your explanation.
Did you try fix suggested at [1]?

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15431210/wix-relative-path-ends-up-being-too-long

- Alexey