Hi, Naoto

I have a few comments:

src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/StringUTF16.java

379 private static int getSupplementaryCodePoint(byte[] ba, int cp, int index, int start, int end)

I think it would be worth a small addition to the comment to reflect that non-surrogate chars are returned as-is.

--

I thought about the scenario of an unpaired low or high surrogate at the beginning or end of the string, respectively:

384         if (Character.isLowSurrogate((char)cp)) {
385             if (index > start) {
391         } else if (index + 1 < end) { // cp == high surrogate
392             char c = getChar(ba, index + 1);
397         return cp;

It looks like the cp itself would be returned from getSupplementaryCodePoint(). And then back in compareToCIImpl(), it's converted using Character.to[Upper|Lower]Case(int), which will also return the cp itself. I imagine that's the best we could do, so seems fine.

Is there a test case for unmatched surrogates at the beginning and end of the string ? Should there be ?

--

I see there are no changes to StringLatin1.regionMatchesCI_UTF16(). I presume there are no cases in which toUpperCase(toLowerCase()) of a supplementary character could yield a Latin-1 character, yes?

Also, thanks for adding the benchmark!

-Brent