Should this patch be a workaround to existing releases rather than the main line?   As Brian mentions, lambda proxy class may become inline class in valhalla repo (Roger has a patch already).   The earlier fixing those programs the better.

Indeed if we know this is landing in this cycle in the main repo there's no point with my fix. Could you point me at the issue number or mail thread where this patch is being discussed?

Progress continues on Valhalla, and this is clearly where things are going, but integration is not imminent.

But, the main point here is: if the goal is to protect broken programs that make incorrect identity assumptions, said protection is inherently short-term; when Valhalla lands, all these programs will be broken, and there will be no interest in punishing the other 99.999% of code just to continue to coddle them.  So we should be clear that this is at most a short-term reprieve.