On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 15:17:06 GMT, Magnus Ihse Bursie <i...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Regarding the chosen layout. Did you consider following the existing pattern
>> of src/<module>/{share,<OS>}/data?
>
> @erikj79 Good point, that makes much more sense.

I'm not sure about the formal process for suggesting changes to a delivered
JEP, but this is the text I suggest should replace the current definition of
the new scheme:

    src/$MODULE/{share,$OS}/classes/$PACKAGE/*.java
                            native/include/*.{h,hpp}
                                   $LIBRARY/*.{c,cpp}
                            conf/*
                            legal/*
                            data/*
                            man/*
                            lib/*

where:

  - $MODULE is a module name (_e.g._, `java.base`);

  - The `share` directory contains shared, cross-platform code, as
    before;

  - The `$OS` directory contains operating-system-specific code, as
    before, where `$OS` is one of `unix`, `windows`, _etc._;

  - The `classes` directory contains Java source files and resource files
    organized into a directory tree reflecting their API `$PACKAGE`
    hierarchy, as before;

  - The `native` directory contains C or C++ source files, as before but
    organized differently:

    - The `include` directory contains C or C++ header files intended to
      be exported for external use (_e.g._, `jni.h`);

    - C or C++ source files are placed in a `$LIBRARY` directory, whose
      name is that of the shared library or DLL into which the compiled
      code will be linked (_e.g._, `libjava` or `libawt`); and, finally,

  - The `conf` directory contains configuration files meant to be edited
    by end users (_e.g._, `net.properties`).

  - The `legal` directory contains legal notices.

  - The `data` directory contains data files needed for building the module.

  - The `man` directory contains man pages in nroff or markdown format.

  - The `lib` directory contains configuration files not meant to be edited
    by end users.

Rendered as markdown, it would look somewhat like this: