On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 23:18:04 GMT, David Holmes <dhol...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Alex Menkov has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
>> commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Non-lava launchers should process all "-J" arguments
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> I think this is functionally correct now - though the comment you added is
> confusing to me (see below).
>
> However I remain concerned that this requires processing the arg list twice
> for non-Java launchers. Is that a startup issue we should be concerned about?
>
> Thanks,
> David

Hi David,

> You integrated this change but neither Zhengyu nor myself approved the
> final changes. Zhengyu's Review was prior to the logic fix, and my
> comment "this seems functionally correct" was just a comment and we were
> still discussing the overhead aspect of this.
>
> David

I was sure I saw 2 approvals for the fix, but most likely I misread it and
there were 2 reviewers.
Do you have some suggestions how to handle this?
I don't think it makes sense to revert the change and re-do it from the
beginning.
I think we don't need to worry about startup time impact. It's minimal and only
non-java launchers are affected (AFAIR the main goal of performance/startup
optimizations was java launcher).
I can file an RFE to reorder launcher logic and handle NMT in ParseArguments as
I described earlier. If it's possible, this would remove one cycle
(SetJvmEnvironment) for java/javaw launchers.