On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 11:09:45 GMT, Rémi Forax
<github.com+828220+fo...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>>> I think it's a bug in javac, it should not even raise a warning but an
>>> error.
>>> But the spec is not fully clear.
>>
>> If you think that it's a bug, consider providing feedback to authors of JEP
>> 394:
>>
>>> Other refinements may be incorporated based on further feedback.
>>
>> I find it hard to believe that authors didn't consider generic use case
>> (even though JEP 394 doesn't have examples of that).
>
> We have considered generics, that why parameterized generics with another
> type arguments are forbidden, but i think we have forgotten raw types.

I don't think that cast from `Object` to a raw type is unchecked, so as error
does not seem warranted to me.

However, I agree javac should produce the rawtype warning for rawtypes in
pattern matching instanceof, because we are introducing a new variable (and
casting). I've filled:

Note the non-pattern matching instanceof does not produce the rawtype warning,
and I don't think it should produce it.