Project Valhalla will allow Instant to be migrated to a primitive class, which would address your problem.

On 4/2/2021 7:47 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
Log4j 2 supports the notion of a PreciseClock - one that can be initialized to
something more precise than a millisecond. At the same time it also supports
running with no heap allocations in certain circumstances. I am in the process
of moving our master branch to require Java 11 as the minimum. In doing so I am
encountering unit test errors while verifying that logging is garbage free.
They all occur allocating an Instant.

The code we have simply does

public void init(MutableInstant mutableInstant) {
     Instant instant = java.time.Clock.systemUTC().instant();
     mutableInstant.initFromEpochSecond(instant.getEpochSecond(),
instant.getNano());
}
In our previous tests we had thought the allocation was being eliminated due to
escape analysis since the data is being extracted from the Instant and not
passed along. However, after upgrading the Google test library and the JDK
version it appears that is not the case.
Ideally we would really like something like

public void init(MutableInstant mutableInstant) {
        java.time.Clock.systemUTC().initInstant(mutableInstant);
}

where Mutable instant would implement an interface that has the two set
methods.The method would execute the same logic that is in the instant() method
but instead of creating a new Instant it would call the set methods for the
provided object.

This would allow us to either have the MutableInstants in ThreadLocals or some
other mechanism to ensure they are thread safe and have no heap allocations. As
it stands now I see no way to gain access to the higher precision clock without
memory allocation.

Do you know of another way to do this? Am I missing something?

Ralph