> On May 19, 2021, at 9:40 AM, Andy Herrick <andy.herr...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> I don't think jlink will ever include the jdk development tools in a custom
> runtime (using jlink on windows or mac without --strip-native-commands only
> gives me java and keytool),

Mac gave me the 9 commands shown earlier. Something inconsistent involved?

> but you can include the whole jdk (less src.zip and the jmods directory) by
> using --runtime-image <runtime dir> and pointing <runtime dir> to the JDK you
> are running jpackage from (or you can take copy of that JDK, modify it in any
> way you want, and point to that)).

I was trying a couple of these options for something unrelated last night. Just
a quick look not extensive. But it seemed like if you copy —runtime-image you
are limited in making some modular changes to that runtime. I also tried
directly using jlink to make the runtime myself but that also errored. I didn’t
make any effort to figure out the problem at that time. A linkage error of some
sort in class initialization for my launcher class.
Manually changing a copied runtime I didn’t try. You could then just copy the
commands you need to the jpackage runtime if the application is unsigned? I
used to do something similar for app’s that needed an embedded ‘java’ command
available. But got scolded for doing so when I mentioned it on this list.

If the functionality is critical to the app I will probably have to make one of
those options work. Currently it isn’t critical. So I guess I could just add an
availability check.

Thanks.