The JEP addresses this:

> In future JDK releases, we will degrade the Security Manager APIs so that
> they
remain in place but have limited or no functionality. ... This will allow
libraries
that support the Security Manager and were compiled against previous Java
releases
to continue to work without change or even recompilation. We expect to remove
the
APIs once the compatibility risk of doing so declines to an acceptable level.

If your question is, when only few codebases will refer to the API and the
compatibility impact is low enough for it to be removed, what if some of those
few libraries still want to support versions prior to the removal, the answer
is
the same as with all removals (MR-JARs, or multiple artefacts). By definition,
the impact of complete removal when the impact is low, would be low.

— Ron

> [...]
>> libraries that are compiling to older releases should continue to
>> compile and run on those releases. When they run on some future release
>> that degrades the implementation then it will be as if there is no SM.
>> So I would say the impact is little to none for libraries for the
>> foreseeable future.
>>
>> -Alan
>>

>> On 13/06/2021 21:28, Rafael Winterhalter wrote:
>>> I am currently looking into how I should address JEP 411 in my library
>> Byte
>>> Buddy and I find it rather challenging. The problem I am facing is that I
>>> know of several users who rely on the security manager in their Java 8/11
>>> applications. I would like to continue to support those users' use cases
>> as
>>> long as I support Java versions that contain the security manager, which
>>> will be for many years to come. At the same time, I would like to address
>>> the announced removal of the API and make sure that Byte Buddy can work
>>> without it prior to the deadline when the library in its current state
>>> would no longer link.
>>>
>>> From my understanding of the intention of JEP 411, the API was supposed
>>> be stubbed – similar to Android’s stubbing of the API - rather than being
>>> removed. However, with the announced deprecation for removal of
>>> AccessController and SecurityManager, I understand that I would need to
>>> fully remove the dispatching to work with future Java versions.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, it is difficult to create a working facade for dispatching
>>> the security manager only if it is available. Methods like
>>> AccessController.doPrivileged are caller sensitive and by adding a
>> utility
>>> to a library, this utility would leak to any potential user. It would
>>> therefore require package-private dispatchers for any relevant package,
>>> which would lead to a lot of copy-paste to retain backwards compatibility
>>> (given that a library cannot assume to be run as a module).
>>>
>>> Finally, removing the API would mean that Byte Buddy versions of the last
>>> ten years would no longer link in future JDKs. For Byte Buddy where new
>>> Java versions often require an update, that might not be a big issue but
>>> many other libraries do support the API, I don’t feel it would be a
>> rather
>>> severe restriction and cause unnecessary breakage if API is removed,
>> rather
>>> than stubbed. I am thinking of libraries like Netty here which are rather
>>> omnipresent and would suddenly no longer link, a concept that is unlikely
>>> intuitive to a lot of developers.
>>>
>>> Therefore, my question is: should SecurityManager, AccessController and
>> the
>>> Policy APIs really be deprecated for removal? Rather, I think that the
>> APIs
>>> should be deprecated, but be retained with stubbed implementations.
>>> System.getSecurityMananger would then always return null.
>>> System.setSecurityManager on the other hand could be deprecated for