On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 22:53:42 GMT, Coleen Phillimore <cole...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Short: this patch makes NMT available in custom-launcher scenarios and
>> during gtests. It simplifies NMT initialization. It adds a lot of
>> NMT-specific testing, cleans them up and makes them sideeffect-free.
>>
>> ---------
>>
>> NMT continues to be an extremely useful tool for SAP to tackle memory
>> problems in the JVM.
>>
>> However, NMT is of limited use due to the following restrictions:
>>
>> - NMT cannot be used if the hotspot is embedded into a custom launcher
>> unless the launcher actively cooperates. Just creating and invoking the JVM
>> is not enough, it needs to do some steps prior to loading the hotspot. This
>> limitation is not well known (nor, do I believe, documented). Many products
>> don't do this, e.g., you cannot use NMT with IntelliJ. For us at SAP this
>> problem limits NMT usefulness greatly since our VMs are often embedded into
>> custom launchers and modifying every launcher is impossible.
>> - Worse, if that custom launcher links the libjvm *statically* there is just
>> no way to activate NMT at all. This is the reason NMT cannot be used in the
>> `gtestlauncher`.
>> - Related to that is that we cannot pass NMT options via `JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS`
>> and `-XX:Flags=<file>`.
>> - The fact that NMT cannot be used in gtests is really a pity since it would
>> allow us to both test NMT itself more rigorously and check for memory leaks
>> while testing other stuff.
>>
>> The reason for all this is that NMT initialization happens very early, on
>> the first call to `os::malloc()`. And those calls happen already during
>> dynamic C++ initialization - a long time before the VM gets around parsing
>> arguments. So, regular VM argument parsing is too late to parse NMT
>> arguments.
>>
>> The current solution is to pass NMT arguments via a specially prepared
>> environment variable: `NMT_LEVEL_<PID>=<NMT arguments>`. That environment
>> variable has to be set by the embedding launcher, before it loads the
>> libjvm. Since its name contains the PID, we cannot even set that variable in
>> the shell before starting the launcher.
>>
>> All that means that every launcher needs to especially parse and process the
>> NMT arguments given at the command line (or via whatever method) and prepare
>> the environment variable. `java` itself does this. This only works before
>> the libjvm.so is loaded, before its dynamic C++ initialization. For that
>> reason, it does not work if the launcher links statically against the
>> hotspot, since in that case C++ initialization of the launcher and hotspot
>> are folded into one phase with no possibility of executing code beforehand.
>>
>> And since it bypasses argument handling in the VM, it bypasses a number of
>> argument processing ways, e.g., `JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS`.
>>
>> ------
>>
>> This patch fixes these shortcomings by making NMT late-initializable: it can
>> now be initialized after normal VM argument parsing, like all other parts of
> [...]

[Not a review, just a drive-by comment.]  It's casting away const.  Better
would be a const_cast.  And probably moved to the final result, with the body
keeping things const-qualified.  And maybe const and non-const overloads of
this function.  Or maybe this function shouldn't be const-qualified if a
non-const result is always needed, but that doesn't seem likely.