On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 13:12:54 GMT, Markus KARG
<github.com+1701815+mk...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Is this loop correct for the case that the channel gets truncated? In that
>> case transferTo will return 0 as no bytes will be transferred and I'm
>> concerned this code will go into an infinite loop.
>>
>> Also can you can check that IllegalBlockingModeException is thrown for the
>> case ch is a SelectableChannel configured non-blocking and the destination
>> is a FileChannel?
>>
>> Just on naming, the existing channel implementations use "dst" for the
>> destination and "wbc" (not "oc") for writable byte channels. Just mentioning
>> it so that the new code can be kept consistent where possible.
>
>> Just on naming, the existing channel implementations use "dst" for the
>> destination and "wbc" (not "oc") for writable byte channels. Just mentioning
>> it so that the new code can be kept consistent where possible.
>
> I have renamed `dest` to `dst` and `oc` to `wbc` in
> https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/4263/commits/f91d5422c41e25410a81aad54a45b2d0e171305a.

> Is this loop correct for the case that the channel gets truncated? In that
> case transferTo will return 0 as no bytes will be transferred and I'm
> concerned this code will go into an infinite loop.

Good catch, indeed missed this particular situation!

The modified code found in
https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/4263/commits/4b501b205c6f1c48bbc82d7a154aed3fc41b1a20
 should be safe from infinite loops, as it checks the actual file length in
each iteration (even if this costs us one more `synchronized` per iteration).

This will also improve the situation with concurrent *extension* of the file as
outlined in:

>If src is extended at an inconvenient point in time, for example between the
>return from a call to src.transferTo() that makes bytesWritten < n false and
>the evaluation of that terminating condition, then it appears that not all the
>content of src will be transferred to dest. I am not however sure that this
>violates any contract but it could be a behavioral change from the existing
>implementation.

As `size()` is called in each iteration, it will pick up the appendend bytes.
Still the situation exists that some bytes are *replaced* in the source file --
but that is actually out-of-scope of this PR...! ;-)