On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 19:57:59 GMT, Naoto Sato <na...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Please review a semi-automatic update of the nroff man pages from the
>> upstream files.
>
> src/jdk.hotspot.agent/share/man/jhsdb.1 line 1:
>
>> 1: .\" Copyright (c) 2019, 2020, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights
>> reserved.
>
> This seems not correct?

According to the comments in the makefile
(`closed/make/UpdateOpenManPages.gmk`) the copyright line is taken from the
original Markdown file, so if the year is wrong there, it will be wrong in the
generated nroff file.

I think it would be incorrect to edit the dates locally in these files, because
they'll just be overwritten when we generate the files again. Ideally, the
dates should be fixed (if necessary) in the Markdown files, but that seems out
of scope for this P1.

This is "just" an issue with copyright dates in source files ... and yes, while
I know copyright dates are important, this problem is arguably part of an
ongoing more general problem.

I note that the generated files *do* correctly identify themselves with `2021`
in the visible output generated to the console by the `man` command.

PR: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk17/pull/303