On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 08:40:34 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Markus KARG has updated the pull request incrementally with two additional
>> commits since the last revision:
>>
>>  - Draft: Eliminated duplicate code using lambda expressions
>>  - Draft: Use blocking mode also for target channel
>
>> I am a bit disappointed actually about that destructive answer at that late
>> point in time, now that I worked for months on all the requested changes and
>> tests. To prevent exactly this situation, I deliberately had the discussion
>> started in JIRA only, and I deliberately had the original code being just a
>> draft in the first place, and I deliberately did nearly _everything_ I was
>> asked to (including even the most irrelevant minor code style issues). And
>> you come up with the request to drop the code **now**?
>>
>> Certainly we could reduce the PR to just file channels, but in fact, now
>> that I spent all the time in the non-file-channels, I wonder why I shall
>> throw away all that work and go just with file channels actually? What is
>> not covered that was originally covered, and what is that lots of issues you
>> talk about? Actually I cannot see the actual problem unless you name it.
>
> There are 78 comments on this PR so far. We've tried to point out the bugs
> and issues at each iteration. We asked for tests because the changes
> introduce several code paths and implementations that would not be exercised
> by existing tests. There are several scenarios still missing and the patch
> doesn't yet have the microbenchmarks to demonstrate the improvements.
>
> I assume this is your first contribution so there will be learning curve and
> maybe some frustration. I think you have a better chance of success if you
> split this up and reduce the scope of this PR down to something manageable.
> Keeping the selectable channels out of this PR and focusing on the case where
> the input and output streams wrap file channels should make it simpler and
> may lead to a better solution. Reducing the scope will also reduce the burden
> on reviewers.

> I do not know exactly what @AlanBateman had in mind, but I think there is
> general concern about ensuring that all combinations of channel types and all
> execution paths are exercised.

@AlanBateman @bplb

Does it make **any** real sense to answer your recent questions, provide the
proofs, tests and benchmark results (I actually would love to *if* it makes
sense) *or* will the outcome be that I *must* drop everything besides file
channels *anyways* (In that case it is in vain)? As my time is just as precious
as yours I really need to know that **before** I spend more weeks into code
paths that you possibly decided to never accept ever. Don't get me wrong, if
you see a chance to keep the code once I provided the answers I will do that,
but if you do not see that chance, please frankly and unambiguously tell me
**now**. Thanks.