On Wed, 25 Aug 2021 22:05:24 GMT, Vladimir Ivanov <vliva...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Get rid of WeakReference-based logic in
> DirectMethodHandle::checkInitialized() and reimplement it with
> `Unsafe::ensureClassInitialized()`/`shouldBeInitialized()`.
>
> The key observation is that `Unsafe::ensureClassInitialized()` does not block
> the initializing thread.
>
> Also, removed `Unsafe::shouldBeInitialized()` in
> `DMH::shouldBeInitialized(MemberName)` to save on calling into the VM.
> `Unsafe::ensureClassInitialized()` already has a fast-path check which checks
> whether the class is fully initialized or not.
>
> Testing: tier1 - tier6

That's a nice cleanup to a tricky area (one of the few used to trigger an
update a final field). In effect we were already relying on that behavior in
the `ClassValue` computation.

May i suggest that we add some JavaDoc to `ensureClassInitialized` describing
the two cases of the calling thread is the initialization thread or not.

Marked as reviewed by psandoz (Reviewer).